Monday, May 30, 2011

Patrick Wolf - Together


"We can make it so much better"

I'm back! I had a wonderful time in New York City. Signed a bunch of books, met some cool people, saw some amazing shows and explored the city. I'd love to live there some day! While I was away, Patrick Wolf's new album poked its head into the blogosphere, and I was very eager to hear it. From all of the hype and excellent pre-album singles, I expected a new sound for him. A happier, poppier upbeat album of music. Unfortunately, for the most part the album sounds exactly like all of his others. Amidst the melodic highlights are a bunch of forgettable tracks that (at least upon the first few listens) aren't sticking with me. Who knows, maybe it will grow. His stuff usually takes some time. One album standout (and the song that I was looking most forward to hearing) is Together, which comes nearly at the end. It's Wolf's danciest song yet and doesn't fit at all with the other tracks. I wish he would've made an album that sounded just like this. His vocals coupled with a propulsive synth beat is really something special. But honestly, I don't think he's even looking for mainstream success anymore.
On another note, I'll have a full Lady Gaga Born This Way track-by-track review later this week (maybe tomorrow)!

Patrick Wolf - Together by Di69

(Music posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like what you hear, support the artists. Preorder the album here. Follow me on twitter and facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment